Friday, January 21, 2011

Chicken Tandoori

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I always use breast, and this may seem like a lot, but trust me you'll want left-overs)
Juice of 1 lemon
Kosher salt
1/2 c. plus 2 Tbs plain yogurt
1 T vegetable oil
1/2 small red onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, smashed
(I use A LOT more)
2 in piece of ginger (I, again, use more), peeled, roughly chopped
4 tsp tomato paste
2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 3/4 tsp hot paprika
2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
Cooked rice for serving
(this says optional, but I think it's necessary)

1. Preheat broiler. Make shallow cuts in the chicken thighs with a sharp knife. Toss the chicken with the lemon juice and 1 1/2 tsps sald in a large bowl.

2. Pulse 2 Tbs yogurt, the vegetable oil, onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, coriander, cumin, 1 1/2 tsp paprika, and 1/2 tsp salt in a food processor to make a paste. (I use my blender and it works great). Toss the chicken in the mixture and let marinate 15 minutes.

3.Place the chicken on a foil-lined broiler pan. Broil, turning once, until slightly charred and a thermomenter inserted into the center registers 165*, 5 to 6 minutes per side (ours usually takes a lil longer)

4. Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 cup yogurt and 1/4 tsp paprika, the cilantro and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Top the chicken with the yogurt sauce and serve with rice. ( I was a lil iffy on the yogurt sauce at first, but it's to die for on the chicken so I usually make a double batch of it if I make all 8 chicken breasts)

1 comment: