Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Crock-Pot Fajitas

Ok wish I could claim this tasty dish as my own, but it comes from my good friend Rebecca Zentz.  I'm sure she won't mind me sharing since she posted it on her blog too (which I totally just copied and pasted).

1 1/2 lbs flank steak *(I have to say here, don't spend the money on flank steak unless it's on sale, it is a more expensive cut of meat when really, a package of stew meat will be just as good in this dish)
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 red pepper *(please spend the extra  $.50 on a red pepper, the reds and yellows do have a bit of a different taste and they are also part of what makes this dish so good to look at!)
1 jalepeno pepper *(you like it spicier?  Throw in two!)
1 Tbs cilantro
2 cloves garlic *(more if you'd like)
1 tsp chili powder *(if you have it on hand, try using chipotle chili powder, it's got a little more heat and a smokier flavor which could really be good.  It's a little expensive as far as spices go, but having lots of different spices on hand is a good way to add flavor to healthier meals without salt being the boring old go-to.)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 8 oz can diced tomatoes salt to taste

1. Cut meat and veggies however you would like them (I usuallly do strips for the peppers and meat)

2. Place all ingredients in a crock-pot.  Cook on low 8-10 hours, or on high 4-5 hours.
serve on warm flour tortillas (a whole grain version would kick up the health factor) with cheese, lettuce, sour cream, etc.  Anything you like on a taco you'll like on these

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely on the top of my list to try. Went to the store yesterday and forgot to put the ingredients on my list, grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will tell you that if you cook it too long it can turn into a soupy kinda meal...but it's still delish. We just use a slotted spoon to drain off the excess liquid bc I like to cook it til the meat just falls apart

    ReplyDelete